The overarching goal of public health informatics is to apply computer science and information technology to promote health and minimize disease and injury at the population level. Public health informatics uses data from surveys, vital statistics, hospital and clinical statistics, private and public data sources, and government data sources for analysis in improving population health. The goal of technology in public health is to improve case reporting of potential outbreaks early and improve surveillance methods by investigating trends of diseases at a local, national, and global level.
Key concepts of public health informatics is to convert data into information and then knowledge using:
- Data collection
Key functions of knowledge management, which assist public health professionals include:
- Monitor health status.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems.
- Inform and educate the public communities.
- Develop polies and programs to support community health.
- Enforce laws and regulations.
- Link communities to needed health services.
- Assure that the health professionals are well trained and competent in their field.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and quality of health services.
- Research new insights into community health problems.
- Explore the Chronic Disease Indicators website. Next, select one chronic disease indicator of interest to you. Using the required readings and websites for this week, respond to the following:
- Describe the most significant functions of knowledge management associated with the health indicator selected.
- List and describe the various web-based data query programs that are available in your state or another state.
- Compare and contrast the individual state, CDC, and WHO websites and state the similarities and differences between the types of public health data available with both these organizations.
- Examine some of the challenges knowledge management presents to public health professionals using tools such as surveillance systems and other technology advancements.
Have to be written in APA format