Case Study 3: Suicide
worth 160 points
According to the text, there are nearly 900,000 suicides in a year in the world. The truth of the matter is that this number is probably much higher due to underreported instances of intentional death. As a result of technology, a new trend in suicide is death due to “cyberbullying.” For this case study, use the Internet and/or the Strayer library to identify, research, and explore a suicide as a result of cyberbullying, physical bullying, and/or body shaming that has occurred within the last three years.
Write a 4-page paper in which you address the following thoroughly. Cite specifics from the case to support your arguments:
- Examine three elements of cyberbullying, physical bullying, and/or body shaming and then determine whether or not the defendant(s) should be charged with a cyberbullying, physical bullying, and/or body shaming crime. Provide a rationale to support your position.
- Based on what you learned about the relationship between suicide and depression from the text, support or refute the following statement: “People who die by suicide are usually experiencing undiagnosed depression.” Support your opinion.
- Analyze the significance of why suicide is becoming a more prevalent area of interest due to the wide use of social media. Next, debate whether or not suicide will remain a focal point or receive the notoriety necessary for agencies to continue working to get support for individuals who are considering suicide. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- The text states that suicide rates vary around the world. Based on the text, propose two possible causes for the differences around the world. Next, give your opinion as to whether suicide should be considered a deviant behavior and examine the ramifications. Justify your response.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar types of websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Properly classify suicide and suicidal tendencies.
- Describe the procedures for handling mental illness in the criminal justice system.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to the criminal mind.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics involving the criminal mind using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.