Introduction and Alignment
The PMHNP should be familiar with current complementary and alternative therapies and use this knowledge to guide effective treatment decisions and client teaching.
Upon completion of this assignment, you should be able to:
- Discuss pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatment alternatives available to clients in the psychiatric – mental health care setting and potential benefits and/or rationale for their use.
- Review current literature regarding dietary supplements, herbal therapies, and psychoactive herbs, and identify potential dangers associated with its use.
- Recommend PMHNP interventions that are aimed at promoting client safety for individuals who choose to use complementary and alternative medicine.
- Textbook: Sadock, Sadock, and Ruiz (2015) – Chapter 24; Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Psychiatry
- Do a literature search for current literature related to complementary and alternative medicine use in mental health care. Look at both pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches.
- Make a table of at least 6 articles and list the following components:
- Citation of article
- Therapy discussed
- Take home points – how used, for what diagnoses, etc. including patient safety data
- Would you recommend this for patients that you care for?
- Develop a 2-3 paragraph summary of your support for or against the use of complementary and alternative medicine in your future practice, giving reasons to support.
- Navigate to the threaded discussion forum and post a copy of your work (in a word document) by the fifth day of the workshop.
- Respond to at least two peers’ postings by the end of the workshop.